This 5 ingredient VEGAN Iced Mocha Latte is my summer go-to – Coffee, Chocolate syrup, Oat milk and tons of ice is all you need!
Disclosure: Special thanks to Calphalon for sponsoring this post and for choosing me as a Calphalon Cook brand Ambassador. All opinions, as always, are my own.
All year round, South Indian mornings are synonymous with coffee; there are two signs that signal a new day: the sunrise, and the smell of coffee wafting from the kitchen, but it wasn’t until I came to the US that I tasted my first iced coffee – and it was life altering. It immediately got me thinking, how in a country as hot as India, everyone, even in the cruel peak of summer, only drink hot coffees…
I never quite figured out the answer to that question, but iced coffees are now a regular part of my summer rituals – no questions asked.
Do you have an Espresso Machine yet?
I used to be a kettle and filter brewer (still occasionally do revert back for some quiet therapeutic time), but since I got the Calphalon Temp iQ Espresso Machine in my kitchen, the turn-a-dial-for-barista-style-coffee has me a little spoilt, and laziness always wins the day!
The thermoblock heating technology offers precise temperature control of water, which is very important for that perfect brew – left to my kettle + filter setup, I sometimes tend to dream away and let the kettle boil over, turning my coffee a little too acidic to anyone’s taste, leaving me acid-burping all morning. Gross.
No more. Perfect brew, every single time, a simple dial turn away!
Things I really love about the Calphalon Temp iQ Espresso Machine:
- The preset dials (steam, hot water, 1 shot, 2 shot) that make brewing so simple!
- The removable 2 litre water reservoir – the thing I hate about most coffee makers, is the desalination and cleaning process of the water reservoir. With a removable option, I get to clean mine more often, which gives me such peace of mind knowing I’m not making coffee with yucky water.
- The cafe size 58mm portafilter comes with coffee grounds baskets in two sizes – mine is a 2 person household, where only I drink coffee (my husband is an alien creature who hates coffee – I love him despite that flaw!), so the smaller size is perfect for just me! When I have coffee-loving normal humans over, I use the bigger size basket and everyone’s happy!
- The steam frother – seriously, that thing is magic!
Let’s make us some VEGAN Iced Mocha Latte
My fridge always has a bottle of my 5 ingredient Chocolate Sauce, which means making myself a chilled glass of VEGAN Iced Mocha Latte is never more than a 5 minute affair.
Step 1: Insert coffee grounds into the Calphalon Temp iQ Espresso Machine and get your espresso going!
Step 2: Fill a tall glass with a lot of ice.
Step 3: Pour chocolate sauce over ice.
Step 4: Pour hot espresso next. Don’t worry, there’s enough ice in the glass to take the heat.
Step 5: Chilled Oat milk + sugar to taste. Stir.
Step 6: Find a quiet spot and enter summer bliss.
Finding the right milk
The first few months when I was transitioning to a plant-based diet, the hardest part of daily life was the milk substitute in my morning coffee. I tried coconut (the most familiar, but it was too coconut-y), almond (the popular one and my choice for a few years, but didn’t sit quite right with me), chickpea (the worst, so far!), and finally settled on Oat milk.
Oat milk was the perfect fit – it is neutral tasting, thick, creamy without being fatty and more eco-friendly to manufacture.
If you haven’t tried oat milk yet in your beverages, I definitely urge you to try it.
So this summer, indulge yourself in this easy and quick VEGAN Iced Mocha Latte – find small moments during the day to relax, unwind and get a break from the heat. It’s not going to go away anytime soon, might as well enjoy the ride!
And if you’re a coffee aficionado, be sure to check out the Calphalon Temp iQ Espresso Machine available at Calphalon.com and Amazon.
- 2 c Ice cubes
- 1/2 c Espresso (see notes)
- 3 tbsp Chocolate Sauce
- 1 c Oat milk
- 1/2 tbsp Cane sugar, to taste
- Divide the ice between two tall glasses.
- In a measuring mug, combine the freshly brewed espresso, chocolate sauce, oat milk and sugar. Stir well to make sure the sugar is dissolved.
- Divide the coffee mixture between the two glasses of ice.
- Adjust sweetening, if needed. (I like mine mildly sweet)
- Enjoy your chilled Iced Mocha Latte!
- I brewed my espresso using the Calphalon Temp iQ Espresso Machine: 2 tbsp coffee grounds in the portafilter, tamped down. Two shots. I got about 1/2 c of strong espresso.
- Don't worry about cooling the coffee first: there's enough ice to make up for the freshly brewed heat.
- The measurements here reflect the dilution you'll get from the 2 cups of ice. If you don't have ice, and just want to use cold water, you'll need to dilute to taste.
- As the weather transitions from summer to Fall, you could also add a pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg to your Iced coffee for a seasonal spin.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 83Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 15mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 1gSugar: 13gProtein: 1g
Disclaimer: This nutritional data is calculated using third party tools and is only intended as a reference.