- Prep Time:5m
- Cook Time:2h
- Total Time:8h
- Serves: 4
- Yield: 4 kulfis
- 1 litre whole milk
- 1/3 c sugar
- 3 slices of preserved black truffles
- 5 strands of saffron
- In a large heavy bottomed saucepan, boil and reduce the milk until it is 1/3rd it's original quantity. You'll need to keep stirring it to prevent burning and scrape down the milk solids that coagulate on the sides of the pan. Pull up a chair and get comfortable near the stove. This will take about 2-3 hours.
- Once the milk has reduced to 1/3rd it's original quantity, it will feel lumpy and thick. Add sugar, season with truffle slices and saffron strands. Continue to cook for 5 more minutes and remove from heat.
- Let cool completely and refrigerate until chilled. Then pour the chilled mixture into popsicle/kulfi molds. Stick a popsicle stick in each and cover with cling film. Freeze overnight to until solid.
- Run under hot water to loosen the kulfi a bit, and use a small, sharp knife to loosen the edges at the top. Wiggle it a bit using the popsicle stick as leverage and the kulfi should slip out in one piece.
- Serve cold with a sprinkle of freshly toasted nuts.