- Prep Time:10m
- Total Time:15m
- Serves: 2
- Yield: About 2 cups
For the dressing
- 1/4 c tamarind pulp
- 1 tsp. sambal oelek
- 1 tsp. fried red chilli flakes
- 1 1/2 tbsp. ground roasted gram (see note at end of post)
- 1 tbsp. fried onion + more for the salad
- 1/2 tbsp. fried garlic + more for the salad
- 1 tsp. onion-garlic oil
- Salt to taste
For the salad
- 1 c shredded chickpea tofu (raw or lightly toasted)
- 1/2 mango, sliced (optional)
- 1/4 c red onion slices
- 1 tbsp. crushed peanuts
- a handful of chopped cilantro
- Make the dressing by combining the tamarind pulp, sambal oelek, fried red chilli flakes, roasted gram flour*, fried onion, fried garlic and the onion-garlic oil (that you saved after frying the onion and garlic).
- *Adjust the quantity of the roasted gram flour to make this dressing as thin or thick as you like.
- Season with salt, and adjust the remaining ingredients according to taste. (different brands/batched of tamarind tend to vary in sourness).
- The dressing can be refrigerated for a week.
Assemble the salad
- Slice the chickpea tofu in 1/2" thick slices. Toss the slices with the mango, sliced onion (raw), fried onion, fried garlic until combined.
- You can also toast the tofu for a more crunchier skin. I personally prefer it toasted.
- Top with 2-3 tsp of dressing and toss to combine. Garnish with crushed peanuts, cilantro and serve immediately.
- You can make a meal of this by serving it over a bed of lettuce and other salad greens of preference, and doused with an extra dollop of dressing.