- Prep Time:5m
- Cook Time:10m
- Total Time:15m
- Serves: 1
For cooking pasta
- 100 g (3.5 oz) angel hair pasta
For the curried breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp. Olive oil
- 1/4 c bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp. curry powder (see notes in post)
- pinch of salt
For the pasta
- 1 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 1/4 red onion, chunkily chopped
- 1 jalapeno, sliced diagonally (de-seeded, if you prefer)
- 1/4 tsp. red chilli flakes (or to taste)
- Salt, to taste
- fresh Cilantro or Parsley
- 1/4 Lemon, juiced
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil, with a pasta colander insert, if you have one.
Make the curried breadcrumbs
- While the water boils, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a 10" heavy bottomed skillet and add the curry powder. Once it sizzles, add the breadcrumbs and sauté on low until it turns crisp and dark golden brown. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
Make the 'sauce'
- In the same pan, heat the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil and saute the sliced garlic until soft and the edges begin to turn golden brown. Add the chopped onion and jalapeno and sauté until it's cooked but it still has a bite. Stir in the red chilli flakes. Season with salt. Remove from heat. Set aside.
Cook the pasta
- Salt the water till it tastes like the sea and put the pasta into the boiling water. Use tongs and carefully push down the pasta as it cooks until fully immersed. Let it cook till done.
- Drain (but save 1/4 cup of pasta cooking water) and toss in the cooked pasta into the sauteed vegetables and stir well until combined. Add upto 1/4 c pasta cooking water. Adjust salt, to taste. Squeeze in some lemon juice, to taste.
- Transfer to your bowl (or eat off the pan, like I would). Sprinkle generously with the curried breadcrumbs. Top with fresh parsley or cilantro and eat immediately.
Leave a Reply