- Prep Time:10m
- Cook Time:25m
- Total Time:35m
- Serves: 2
- Yield: About 2-3 cups
For cooking the lentils
- 1/2 c Toor Dal, soaked (see post above)
- 3/4 c water
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp. red chilli powder (optional)
For the final seasoning
- 2 tsp. sesame oil (or any other vegetable oil)
- 1/4 tsp. mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp. urad dal / split black gram (optional - substitute with your choice of nuts instead)
- 1 dry red chilli
- 1/2 c chopped red onions
- 1/2 c chopped garlic scapes
- Salt, to taste
- Combine the soaked lentils, water, chopped tomatoes, cumin, turmeric and red chilli powder. Pressure cook till soft. If using other alternative methods to cook lentils, adjust water accordingly.
- Once cooked, mash until smooth and season with salt. Set aside. You can also dilute the lentils to the thickness you prefer.
- While the lentils are cooking, heat the sesame oil in a small pan and once hot add the mustard seeds. When the spluttering stops, add the urad dal, dry red chilli and when the dal turns golden brown, add the chopped onion and garlic scapes.
- Cover partially and cook the on medium-low heat until the onions and garlic scapes are cooked down and slightly browned.
- Remove from heat and pour over the cooked lentils. Stir and serve hot with rice, roti or naan.