- Prep Time:2h 30m
- Cook Time:40m
- Total Time:3h 10m
- Serves: 3
- Yield: 6
For the bread
- 3/4 c all purpose flour + more for rolling
- 1/2 tsp. instant yeast (1/4 tbsp active dry yeast)
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. almond creamer / milk
- 1/4 c warm water
For the filling
- 1/2 c grated fresh coconut
- 1/2 c jaggery, grated
- 2 cardamom pods, seeds powdered
Make the dough
- In a bowl, combine flour, yeast, creamer /milk, salt and sugar. Stir in the warm water to make a dough, kneading for 5-10 minutes.
- Cover with a damp cloth or cling film and place in a warm spot for about an hour to proof and rise.
Make the filling
- Dissolve the jaggery with about 1 tsp of water over a low-medium heat. Stir in the coconut and let it reduce. You want it at a spreadable consistency, but not so watery that it soaks the bread.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cardamom powder.
Shape the rolls
- Sprinkle flour on a clean work surface and roll out the risen dough into a rectangle (roughly) about 1/4" thick.
- Spread the filling (if it's hardened, re-melt it over heat to spreadable consistency) all over and starting at one end, roll into a log.
- Divide the roll into 6 even pieces and place each piece into a greased muffin tin.
- Cover with cling wrap or a damp cloth and let it proof again in a warm place until doubled.
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C. Brush the tops and sides of the risen bread rolls with milk/egg wash (optional).
- Bake in the preheated oven at 350°F/180°C for 30 minutes until golden brown and crisp.
- Remove from the muffin tin immediately (while still hot), serve warm.