- Prep Time:20m
- Cook Time:15m
- Total Time:35m
- Serves: 5
- Yield: Makes about 10 crepes
For the crepe batter
- 1 c whole moong dal (mung beans)
- 1/2 c quinoa ( I used a blend of quinoa (white+red), millet, buckwheat)
- 1 " fresh ginger
- 2 -3 green chillies
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- Salt, to taste
- 1 1/4 c water + more for soaking
For the Peanut chutney
- 3/4 c peanuts, roasted and skinned
- 1 c water
- 1 -2 dry red chillies
- 1 tbsp. grated coconut
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Salt, to taste
- 1 c sprouted lentils
- 2 c greens (baby kale, arugula, mizuna, radichio)
- Cilantro (or fresh herb of choice)
- 1/4 red onion, sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, spiced+roasted (see post above)
- 1/4 c vegetable oil
Make the batter
- Soak the mung beans and quinoa overnight. Drain the soaked lentils, rinse until the water runs clear, then add to a large blender with 1 cup water, ginger, cumin seeds and green chillies. Grind to a smooth paste, adding 1/4cup - 1/2cup more water as necessary.
- Add salt to taste. The batter will be thicker than traditional European crepes.
- Set aside. You may use the batter immediately, but a resting time of 1-2 hours is recommended. Ferment overnight for a probiotic boost.
Make the chutney
- Combine all the ingredients in a small blender jar and blitz till creamy and smooth. An optional drizzle of olive oil on top keeps the chutney from drying out.
Make the crepes
- Heat a flat skillet/griddle till it's very hot. Lightly grease the pan with oil. Using a flat bottomed ladle, spread 1/4 c batter onto the hot pan, starting from the center, and pushing the batter outwards as you move in circles around the pan.
- Drizzle the outside with a few drops of oil. Cover and let cook on medium heat for 1-2 minutes, or until the bottom is golden brown and the top if soft and cooked.
- If you leave it on the heat for too long, the crepes will get crisp (delicious, still) and it will be harder to fill and fold over.
- Remove crepe, wipe down the pan with a scrunched up paper towel and repeat with the remaining batter. Allow 2 filled crepes per person. Leftover batter can be refrigerated for upto a week.
- Spread 1-2 tbsp of peanut chutney down the center of the crepe. Top with your choice of fillings, fold over in half and serve immediately.
Leave a Reply