- Prep Time:5m
- Cook Time:18m
- Total Time:25m
- Serves: 2
- Yield: Makes 2 cupcakes
For the cupcakes
- 3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 tsp. baking soda (not baking powder!)
- a pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp. water
- 1 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1/8 tsp. vanilla bean paste (or 1/4 tsp extract)
- 1 tbsp. bittersweet chocolate chips (at least 60% cacao)
For the chocolate ganache frosting
- 1/4 c bittersweet chocolate chips (atleast 60% cacao)
- 1/8 c canned coconut milk
- 4 tbsp. icing sugar
Make the cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C. Line a muffin tin with two cupcake liners.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a small bowl. Make a well in the center and add the oil, water and vanilla. Stir well to make a batter. Don't over mix.
- Divide the batter between the two cupcake liners. Bake in the preheated oven at 350°F/180°C for 18 minutes.
- Cool the cupcakes completely on a wire rack.
Make the frosting
- While the cupcakes are baking, make the chocolate frosting. Heat the coconut milk until warm (do not boil) and pour over the chocolate chips. Make sure you use a small bowl, so the coconut milk will cover the chocolate.
- Let sit for a few minutes for the chocolate to melt, then stir till you get a smooth, creamy chocolate ganache.
- Stir in the icing sugar (make sure there are no lumps) and refrigerate for the frosting to thicken to piping consistency.
- Transfer the chocolate ganache frosting to a piping bag fitted with your favorite icing tip.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled completely, pipe the frosting on top. Serve immediately. Can be refrigerated in an air-tight container for upto 3 days, but it's best served at room temperature and on the day of baking.