- Prep Time:5m
- Cook Time:15m
- Total Time:20m
- Serves: 6
- 3/4 c sugar
- 2 tsp. white vinegar
- 1/4 c water
- 1 tbsp. finely minced/grated garlic
- 1 tbsp. crushed red chilli flakes / fried red chilli flakes
- 1 tbsb Sambal Oelek or Siracha sauce
- 1 tbsp. cornflour / cornstarch + 1tbsp water
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Add sugar, water and vinegar to a small saucepan and over medium heat, bring to a boil.
- Add the red chilli flakes, sambal oelek/siracha and grated garlic and let it simmer till the garlic is cooked and the flavours blend in.
- While that's simmering, dissolve the cornflour in 1 tbsp water. Turn the heat up till it comes to a rolling boil, and add the cornflour solution.
- Keep stirring until the sauce thickens. Remove from heat before it becomes too thick. The sauce will continue to thicken as it cools. Add salt.
- Store in an air-tight container, refrigerate. Microwave for 10-20 seconds before serving. If the sauce is too thick, dilute with a teaspoon of water.