I had a tin of mango syrup and a jar of strawberry syrup sitting around for a long time. So I got up this morning and made pancakes. Nothing like I imagined it would be. It was so soft, fluffy and sweet. And the strawberry syrup had whole strawberries in them. Nice 🙂
Here’s the recipe I sourced from http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/fluffyamericanpancak_74828
American Pancakes Makes 4-5
You will be needing
– 135gms all purpose flour
– 1 tsp baking powder
– 1/2 tsp salt
– 2 tbsp castor sugar
– 130ml milk
– 1 large egg
– 2 tbsp butter, molten
– 1tsp of vanilla extract
– Sift flour, baking powder, salt, castor sugar and baking powder in a large bowl.
– Make a well in the center and add the milk, egg, vanilla and butter. Whisk well without incorporating the flour. You can also do this in two different bowls, one for wet and one for dry ingredients. I just wanted to reduce the clean up time.
– Once the egg, milk and butte rare well combined and slightly frothy, fold in the flour, without any lumps.
– Set aside for a while.
– In the meantime, heat a pan, I used a grill pan and it made a nice line pattern on the pancakes.
– Wipe a stick of butter on the hot pan to grease it.
– Pour in a ladle of the batter on the pan. I could get all 4 at once, it was a big grill pan.
– On low flame, let it cook, till bubbles start to form on the top.
– At this point, flip it over and let cook on the other side.
– Ideally you want both sides to be golden brown and the insides thoroughly cooked, something that can be checked with a skewer inserted into the center.
-I noticed that the pancakes were beginning to get slightly dry, so I brushed some butter while the other side was cooking.
– Serve with butter, chocolate syrup, maple syrup, strawberry syrup, fresh cut fruits, honey…..
Here’s a whole list of pancake toppings I found online:
Have fun and enjoy the yummy breakfast, a welcome change from our usual ones.