Wake up to cafe quality, dairy-free yet dreamy Mocha Hazelnut Cappuccino brewed right in your home every single day, with foam and everything!
Disclosure: This post was sponsored by Calphalon. All opinions, as always, are my own. Thank you for supporting brands that support Love is in my tummy.
The word ‘coffee’ illicits a reaction from almost everyone. Whether it represents the romantic ritual of steeping grounds you go through first thing every morning in the silent solitude of your kitchen, or that special memory you shared with a friend or loved one in a cafe far, far away in time and space, a reaction is inevitable.
Coffee represents memories; it connects us in so many ways – to ourselves, to each other, to our senses, our experiences and even unto the Earth itself.
To me, it is the ritual of making coffee each morning that I savor, even more so than the cup of coffee itself. To be in a pristine kitchen in the morning, all by myself, listening to the water boil, the drip-drop of the coffee brewing, the swirling milk clouds as I pour in the milk, and the clang of the spoon stirring it all together. To say that it is my favorite time of the day, is a gross understatement.
You all know of my obsession with coffee makers (I have like 8 different kinds!), but believe me, the new Calphalon Temp iQ Espresso Machine is giving all of them a run for their money. I think this is it – the one I’ve been looking for!
There’s a dial interface with presets for 1-shot or 2-shot, steam and even hot water that simplifies the process greatly.
15-bar Italian pump and 2.3 inch commercial size portafilter holds more grounds and ensures even extraction for a robust flavor.
I ran it through the ultimate test – decaf coffee. And no, I couldn’t tell the difference – that’s how good and rich the extraction is!
But my favorite part, is the steam wand! In the absence of it, one can forget the importance of foamed/textured milk in your coffee, but now that it’s a part of my life again, I don’t think I can ever go back to ‘flat’ foamless coffee. Cappuccinos and Lattes for everyone here on out!
If you, like me didn’t know this (and I didn’t know it for a long, long time!) – an espresso is the basis of almost every type of coffee you can think of. Here’s a neat little chart that details how different types of coffee are made (and how they all have a touch of espresso in them!)
While I’m normally a purist when it comes to coffee and chocolate (no flavors for me, please), when it comes to the Holiday season, there’s something in the air that has me wanting chocolate in everything.
So I’ve crafted a delicious, but extremely simple Mocha Hazelnut Cappuccino (recipe below) – think coffee meets Nutella! I can’t imagine anyone saying no to that!
So if you’re in the market for a new espresso machine, head over to your nearest Bed Bath and Beyond and indulge in yourself. T’is the season, afterall!
And don’t forget to make yourself this stellar cup of dairy-free, foamy, creamy, dreamy Mocha Hazelnut Cappuccino. You know you deserve it, you awesome, amazing YOU!
When you make these Vegan Mocha Hazelnut Cappuccino (which I really think you SHOULD!), be sure to SHARE YOUR PHOTOS with me through Facebook, Instagram or Twitter. I’d love to see what you cook from here!
- 1 -1.5 tbsp coffee grounds (regular/decaf, to preference)
- 1 tbsp Chocolate Sauce
- 1/2 cup Barista blend non-dairy milk
- 2 tablespoons hazelnut flavored syrup
- Water, to add into the espresso maker
- Chocolate curls or unsweetened cocoa powder, for garnish
- Calphalon Temp iQ Espresso Machine
- Add water into the Calphalon Temp iQ Espresso Machine and turn it on.
- Place the coffee grounds into the porta filter fitted with the 1 cup insert and press it down with the provided tamper. Lock it into the espresso machine.
- Add the hazelnut syrup and chocolate sauce into your coffee cup, and place coffee cup under the spout.
- Once the 'Ready' light turns on, turn the dial to the 2-shot position. Frothy espresso will stream out of the machine into your cup.
- Stir in to incorporate the chocolate and hazelnut into the coffee.
- Let the cup sit on the warming tray while you heat the milk.
- In the provided milk jug, pour about 1/2 cup of cold non-dairy milk. Insert the steam wand into the jug, and turn the dial to 'Steam'. I found this tutorial quite helpful on getting the perfect foam.
- Tap the jug on the counter a few times, and pour into your coffee, ending with a thick layer of foam on top.
- Sprinkle or garnish with chocolate curls or a dusting of cocoa powder.
- Enjoy immediately!
- It can take a while to learn the art of frothing milk to perfection using the steam wand in the espresso maker. Until then, you can use this milk frother to foam up your warm milk.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 cup Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 64 Total Fat: 3g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 2mg Sodium: 24mg Carbohydrates: 8g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 4g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 2g