These Spicy Cauliflower Steaks are perfect for summer entertaining – the steaks bake in the oven as you make a creamy turmeric yogurt sauce. No stove necessary.
Disclosure: Special thanks to Calphalon for sponsoring this post and for choosing me as a Calphalon Cook brand Ambassador. All opinions, as always, are my own.
Cauliflower has always been one of my favorite vegetables – tasteless on it’s own, it is quite adept at taking on whatever flavor you throw at it, making it quite the blank canvas to paint on.
No one enjoys standing over a hot stove in the summers – cooking’s not a particularly fun thing to do when you’re drowning in sweat. So having a wholesome meal come together completely in an oven, is a gift!
Especially, when you have the Calphalon Performance Cool Touch Countertop Oven at hand. Its Quartz Heat Technology ensures even cooking inside, while the cool touch exterior keeps the outside cool even when you’re cooking at max temperatures! So no worries of the oven heating up the kitchen! You get to stay cool from start to finish, and still have a hot meal to boot!
While the oven is preheating (which happens fast with the Calphalon Performance Cool Touch Countertop Oven, mind you!), get the cauliflower prepped. Make a paste with the besan and spices and slather it on the cauliflower steaks. Pop that onto a baking tray and bake!
I used the preset ROAST function here and got that golden brown, slightly crispy perfection in the end!
And as the cauliflower bakes, make the super simple turmeric yogurt sauce. Just toss the ingredients into a bowl and mix. Again, no stove necessary! My favorite garnishes are cilantro, raw walnuts and caramelized onions.
Once the steaks are done, drizzle generously with the sauce, add in those garnishes, and enjoy with either a side salad or a simple rice pilaf.
Enjoy the best of summer, sans the heat!
And check out the Calphalon Performance Cool Touch Countertop Oven here. It’s really made my life in the kitchen a lot easier!
When you make these VEGAN Spicy Cauliflower Steaks (which I really think you SHOULD!), be sure to SHARE YOUR PHOTOS with me through Facebook, Instagram or Twitter. I’d love to see what you cook from here!
For the steaks
- 1 medium cauliflower
- 2 tbsp besan (chickpea flour)
- 1/2 tbsp rice flour
- 1/8 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp -3/4 tsp salt
- 1.5 tbsp water
- 1 tsp olive oil, divided, plus more for greasing
For the turmeric yogurt sauce
- 1/4 c vegan yogurt
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp dark maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, ground
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 2-3 stalks of cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp caramelized onions
- 2 wedges of lemon
Prep the steaks
- Preheat oven to 425F°. Arrange oven rack to the middle. (In the Calphalon Performance Cool Touch Countertop Oven, use the preset 'ROAST' function, and using the temp dial, increase temp to 425°F).
- Slice two 1" thick pieces from the center portion of the cauliflower. The remaining cauliflower can be saved for use in other recipes.
- In a shallow bowl or plate, combine the remaining ingredients: besan, rice flour, turmeric, red chilli powder, salt, water and 1/2 tbsp olive oil. Mix to combine, then using either your fingers or a brush, spread paste evenly on both the cauliflower steaks.
- Transfer seasoned steaks to a baking tray brushed with a little olive oil. Drizzle the remaining 1/2 tbsp olive oil on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 425F° for 25-30 minutes, until cooked through and golden brown on top.
Make the sauce
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients for the sauce. If needed, add as much water as you need to dilute it to the consistency you prefer.
- Transfer each steak to a plate, divide the garnishes between them and drizzle on the sauce to taste. Serve immediately. Lovely served with a side salad or rice pilaf.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 358Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 1087mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 11gSugar: 13gProtein: 11g
Disclaimer: This nutritional data is calculated using third party tools and is only intended as a reference.