VEGAN Kathi Egg Roll – Spinach roti and JUST egg filled with a stir-fry of tofu and vegetables and rolled together to make a delicious, healthy and filling lunch for two.
After all the indulgences of the holiday season, I bet we are all simply clamoring to eat healthy to abate all that guilt literally weighing us down. May I then, interest you in this VEGAN Kathi Egg Roll filled with a tofu and veggie stir-fry that’s both delicious as well as nutritious?
A Spinach Roti/Tortilla (store-bought or homemade) placed on the Just Egg omelette as it cooks in a skillet, fusing them together as one, which is then filled with a stir-fry of tofu, zucchini, peppers married in a schezuan sauce and rolled together to be enjoyed, without a side of guilt.
JUST Egg is a plant-based ‘egg’ made from Mung beans, has the same protein as a chicken egg, is more sustainable and cholesterol-free. Just what we all need to indulge without indulgence.
For the filling
- 1 tbsp oil
- 3/4 c pressed firm tofu, cut in 1" pieces
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 3/4 c zucchini, cubed
- 3/4 c bell pepper, cubed
- 1 tbsp schezuan sauce (substitute with chilli paste of choice)
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- a pinch of sugar
- Salt, to taste
- 2 spring onions, sliced
For the Kathi Rolls
- Oil, for greasing
- 1 c JUST Egg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 spinach roti - recipe here
Make the filling
- Heat oil in a skillet and fry the pressed tofu on medium-high heat until golden brown. Drain and set aside.
- In the same pan, in the remaining oil, sauté the onions until soft. Add the ginger garlic paste, chopped zucchini, bell pepper, cover and cook until done, but still crunchy to the bite.
- Add the sauces - schezuan, ketchup and soy to the skillet and stir well to combine with the vegetables. Season with sugar and salt.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Garnish with the chopped spring onions.
Make the rolls
- Heat a 10" nonstick skillet over medium heat and brush a little oil.
- Add 1/2 c of JUST Egg to the hot skillet and swivel the pan to spread the egg in an even layer. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the Spinach Roti on top while the egg is still wet. Cover and cook until the egg is firm.
- Transfer to a plate with the egg side facing up. Make a cut halfway through the egg-roti. Spread half of the filling and roll like a triangle.
- Repeat with the remaining JUST Egg, Roti and filling.
- Serve warm.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 560Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 25gCholesterol: 452mgSodium: 1042mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 7gSugar: 9gProtein: 30g
Disclaimer: This nutritional data is calculated using third party tools and is only intended as a reference.