- Prep Time:20m
- Cook Time:15m
- Total Time:35m
- Serves: 2 people
- Yield: 2 pizzas
For the Pizza Dough
- 2 + cups all-purpose flour (add enough to make a smooth dough)
- 1 c warm water
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 tbsp. salt
- 1/2 oz (1tbsp) instant yeast (or active dry yeast)*
- Oil to grease bowl (optional)
- 2 tbsp. finely minced/grated garlic
- 1 tbsp. melted butter
For the Sauce
- 4 tbsp. Thakkali Thokku (Tomato Chutney)
Pizza Toppings (suggestion)
- Large chunks of onions, Coloured Bell Peppers (Capsicum), Sliced tomatoes, Paneer, Spinach, Tofu, Cilantro, Mozzarella and other cheese blends (I used a cheddar, monterey jack and mexican cheese blend) etc.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the pizza dough ingredients (flour, sugar, salt, yeast and water). Use a spoon to mix, it gets a little sticky.
- Grease a large bowl with a little oil, and place the dough inside, cover with cling film and let proof in a warm place for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, chop the pizza toppings and keep ready. If you want to toast the paneer/tofu, go ahead and do that.
- After 20 minutes, the dough should have risen considerably. Knead a little and divide into two and roll into 1/4 inch thick circles or square or oblong - any shape you want.
- Over high-heat, toast the rolled dough in a tawa / skillet / grill pan, both sides until puffed up and golden brown. A little charring here and there doesn't hurt. Adds a smoky flavour to the pizza.
- If using the garlic option, use a brush to spread the garlic+butter mixture on the sides of the dough.
- Then spread the tomato chutney on the toasted dough, pile up the toppings, finish with a generous heap of grated cheese and bake at 400°F/204°C for 10 minutes.
- Slice into wedges and enjoy!