- Prep Time:10m
- Cook Time:40m
- Total Time:8h 50m
- Yield: 32oz
- 1 kg (35oz) apples, chopped roughly, seeds removed. Do not peel.
- 1 stick cinnamon + 1tsp cinnamon powder
- Sugar (For every 10 parts of apple juice, you will need 7 parts of sugar. For 1kg of apples, I was able to extract 780gms of apple juice. Hence one part (out of 10 parts) equals 78gms. 78 x 7= 546gms of sugar.)
- Juice from 1/2 - 3/4th of one Lemon (moderate depending on how tangy you want the jam)
- Water (enough to immerse the apples while cooking)
- In a large pan, over medium heat, cook the apples & cinnamon stick in water, stirring every 5 mins.
- Place a colander/sieve over a large bowl and lay a kitchen towel / cheesecloth / any fine meshed cloth over the colander.
- Drain the cooked apple slush into the colander. Cover and let it drain overnight. Do not press/squeeze.
- In a large pan, combine the apple juice, cinnamon powder, sugar and lemon juice. Bring to a boil.
- Skim off any white froth you see forming over the top. To check if done, dip a cold spoon into the jelly, and if it forms a jelly layer at the back of the spoon, you are done.
- Pour into sterilized bottles, and cool over a wire rack. Once the steam has evaporated, seal tight and refrigerate for up to 3 months.