- Prep Time:40m
- Cook Time:22m
- Total Time:1h 2m
- Serves: 4
- Yield: 12-14 Vadas
- 1 c urad dal (black gram lentil)
- Water, to soak the dal
- 1 inch ginger
- 4 green chillies
- 1/4 c + 1 tbsp water
- 4 large ice cubes
- Salt, to taste
- 3/4 c onion, chopped
- a handful of fresh coriander, chopped
- a sprig of curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- Oil, for brushing
Make the batter
- Soak the dal in water (completely submerged) for 30 minutes, no longer.
- Drain and rinse the soaked lentil. Add ginger, green chillies and salt. Grind into a smooth paste, adding only a few ice cubes at a time and as little water as possible until you get a thick, smooth batter with no lumps.
- To the batter add the chopped onion, coriander. Adjust salt if needed.
- Preheat oven to 450°F/230°C. Brush oil generously into the donut pan.
- Stir in the baking soda and baking powder. Spoon/pipe the batter into the donut pan. Dribble more oil on the top and smooth down making sure that the entire top surface is coated in oil.
- Bake at 450°F/230°C for 12 minutes. Remove from oven, flip the vadas in the pan (it would be slightly stuck to the pan, but use the back of a spoon to wiggle it out without breaking the crust). Continue baking for 10 more minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack immediately and let cool slightly before serving with a side of coconut chutney and sambar.
- The Vadas can be refrigerated for a couple of days. To reheat, bake in a preheated oven at 450°F / 230°C for 5-8 minutes until crispy again.