- Prep Time:30m
- Cook Time:1h 30m
- Total Time:2h
- Serves: 4
- Yield: About 5-6 cups
- 2 c chickpeas, soaked overnight and cooked till soft
- 1 c chana dal (split bengal gram), soaked for 30 minutes and cooked till soft
- 1 c moong dal (mung beans), soaked overnight
- 1/2 c black eyed peas, soaked overnight, cooked till soft
- 1/2 c raw cashews
- 1/2 c raw almonds
- 1/4 c raisins
- 1/2 c peanuts
- 3 c fried cornflakes (from raw, unprocessed cornflakes. NOT CEREAL)
- 2 tbsp. + 1tsp oil (preferably higher smoke points)
- 2 tsp. red chilli powder
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp. garam masala
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 c curry leaves, fried in oil and drained (optional)
- First, start off by cooking the soaked lentils (except moong dal). They should be slightly overcooked, enough to be able to mash between your fingers.
- Preheat oven to 400°F/200°C. Line three baking trays with foil.
- Combine the cooked chickpeas with 1tbsp oil, 1/2 tsp red chilli powder, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp cumin powder, 1/4 tsp garam masala and salt. Spread them on a foil-lined baking tray.
- Bake at 400°F/200°C. for about 30 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350°F/180°C and continue baking for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Keep stirring the chickpeas every 10 minutes to ensure even roasting. Cool on a wire rack completely.
- Combine the cooked chana dal with 1 tbsp oil, 1 tsp red chilli powder, 1 tsp garlic powder and salt. Spread them on another foil-lined baking tray.
- Combine the uncooked, soaked moong dal with 1 tsp oil and 1/2 tsp salt. Spread it over one half of the third foil-lined baking tray.
- Combine the cooked black-eyed peas with 1 tsp oil, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp red chilli powder and 1/2 tsp garlic powder. Spread it over the other half of the third foil-lined baking tray.
- Bake both the trays side by side at 400°F/200°C. The black-eyed peas and moon dal bake for 20 minutes. The chana dal bakes for 30 minutes. Keep stirring the lentils every 10 minutes to ensure even roasting. Cool on wire racks completely.
Nuts - cashews, almonds and peanuts
- While the lentils are baking, you can roast the cashews, almonds and peanuts in the microwave in 1 minute intervals at medium power until golden brown. The cashews take about 3-4 minutes, almonds 2 minutes and peanuts 5-6 minutes. This time varies according to the microwave, so keep a watchful eye to prevent burning.
- While frying the cornflakes, be sure to sprinkle a little red chilli powder and salt while it's still hot.
- In a large bowl, combine the 9 ingredients - roasted chickpeas, chana dal, moong dal, black-eyed peas, cashews, almonds, peanuts, raisins, cornflakes and curry leaves (if using). Toss well to combine. Store in an air-tight container for several weeks.