- Prep Time:30m
- Cook Time:10m
- Total Time:40m
- Serves: 6
- Yield: 2 cups
- 500 g of beet juice (from about 400gms of chopped beetroot)
- 1 c water (optional)
- Salt to taste (~5gms)
- 5 g agar agar powder
- 1/2 g Xanthan gum
- 1 star anise
- 1/2 stick of cinnamon
- 2 dry red chillies
- 1/4 tsp. garam masala
- Blend the chopped beetroot with a little water and filter the juice. Do not throw away the pulp, make beetroot pudding instead (recipe coming up next!).
- In a medium pan, over low-medium heat, cook the beet juice with spices (anise, cinnamon, chillies and garam masala) with until it comes to a simmer and smells a little less raw.
- In the meantime, mix together the Agar agar, Xanthan gum and salt.
- Raise heat to medium to let the beet juice come to a rolling boil, and whisk in the dry ingredients.
- As it is boiling, prepare an ice bath (bowl of ice with another small bowl sitting on the ice)
- Pour the hot beetroot juice through a sieve into a bowl set over an ice bath. Discard the whole spices caught in the sieve.
- Refrigerate and let it firm up completely.
- Blend the cool, firm jelly till pureéd completely. Strain over a sieve.