- Prep Time:10m
- Cook Time:20m
- Total Time:1h 30m
- Serves: 4
To cook the dal
- 1/2 c toor dal (split pigeon peas)
- 1/2 c water
- 1/4 tsp. cumin seeds
- a pinch of turmeric powder
To season the dal
- 1 tsp. ghee (clarified butter) or vegetable oil
- 3 baby shallots, chopped
- 3 -4 slices Black truffle + 1/8 tsp truffle oil
- 4 -5 cashews
- 1 spring onion (green)
- 3/4 c water
- Salt, to taste
- Soak the dal in water (fully immersed) for about 1-2 hours. Rinse and drain until the water runs clear.
- Pressure cook the soaked dal in 1/2 c water, cumin seeds and turmeric powder until completely soft.
- Mash the cooked dal, then add 1/4 c water and stir well to combine. Set aside.
- Melt the ghee in a pan. Fry the cashews until golden brown. Drain and set aside.
- In the remaining ghee, saute the chopped shallots until soft. Stir in the mashed dal.
- Remove from heat and fold in the black truffle slices (minced) and truffle oil.
- Garnish with chopped spring onion (green) and fried cashews. Serve with rice and roasted potatoes.