- Prep Time:5m
- Cook Time:25m
- Total Time:30m
- Serves: 2
- 1 1/2 c of Basmati rice
- 2 1/4 c of water (3 cups, if using pan method)
- 1 1/2 tbsp. ghee (substitute with oil)
- A handful each of cashew nuts and raisins.
- 4 -5 cloves
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 onion, sliced finely
- Fresh coriander, chopped, for garnish
- Salt to taste
- Soak rice in water for about 15 minutes.
- Melt ghee in the pressure cooker and roast cashews and raisins separately until golden brown. Drain and set aside.
- In the remaining ghee, temper the cloves, cinnamon and bay leaf. Add sliced onions and cook until translucent.
Pressure Cooker method
- Add the soaked rice along with its water, cover (without the whistle) and cook on high heat until you see the steam coming off the spout.
- At this point, add the whistle and reduce heat to lowest setting.
- Cook for 10 minutes, then remove from heat and let the pressure reduce by letting excess steam out.
- Soak rice for another 15 minutes (30 minutes in total). Add soaked rice along with its water, cover with a lid and let it come to a rolling boil.
- Reduce heat to low and let it simmer for about 15 minutes or until all the water is gone and rice is perfectly cooked
- Toss in the fried cashews, raisins and chopped coriander and serve hot!