- Prep Time:55m
- Cook Time:50m
- Total Time:1h 45m
- Serves: 12
- Yield: 12 slices
For the cheesecake
- 8 oz (220gms) cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 tsp. all-purpose flour
For the cake
- 3/4 c unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 oz (170gms) bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tbsp. instant coffee powder
- 3/4 c boiling water
- 1 c sour cream (substitute with thick yogurt)
- 1 3/4 c all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 1/2 stick (170gms) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 c light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract (I used vanilla bean paste)
- 5 large eggs, room temperature
For the glaze
- 1/2 c heavy cream
- 2 tsp. corn syrup
- 4 oz (110gms) semisweet chocolate, chopped
- In a bowl, add the softened cream cheese and use an electric beater and whip it for a few minutes till smooth and soft.
- Add sugar, egg and vanilla extract to the cream cheese and beat till combined. Stir in the flour. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the cocoa powder, bittersweet chocolate and instant coffee powder. Add the boiling water and stir well. Cover and set aside till the chocolate is completely molten.
- Mix well till you get a smooth molten chocolate. Let it cool completely. Then stir in the sour cream. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, use an electric beater and cream the butter, sugar and vanilla until fluffy.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- To the creamed butter mixture, add one egg at a time and whisk thoroughly till combined each time. The eggs will help the sugars dissolve.
- Stir in the prepared chocolate base.
- Fold in the flour mixture until completely combined and you end up with a smooth, velvety batter.
- Spray the insides of a 9.5 inch bundt pan with a cooking spray. Alternatively, you can just brush with butter.
- Add half the chocolate cake batter to the pan.
- Now line the cheesecake filling in such a way that it does not touch the sides of the pan (inner and outer sides).
- Spoon over the remaining batter over the cheese cake batter.Make sure not to displace the cheesecake layer.
- Bake at 350°F/180°C for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center comes clean.
- Let cool over a wire rack completely before trying to turn it out.
- Make sure to cool the cake completely before glazing.
Glaze the cake
- In a small heavy bottomed pan, heat the heavy cream and corn syrup till bubbles start to form at the sides. Do not let it boil!
- Pour over the chopped semi-sweet chocolate. Let it sit for 10 minutes. Then stir in to combine.
- Drizzle the glaze over the cake using a spoon, letting it spill over the sides.
- Let the glaze set for a few minutes. Slice, serve and enjoy!