- Prep Time:20m
- Cook Time:30m
- Total Time:1h 30m
- Serves: 8
- Yield: 8" 2-layer cake
For the cake
- 200 g (7 oz) all-purpose flour
- 200 g (7 oz) granulated sugar, powdered
- 175 g (6.2 oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 60 g (2.1 oz) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda.
- 125 mL sour cream
- A good generous splash of Vanilla Extract/ vanilla bean paste
- 2 eggs, room temperature.
- 2-3 tbsp strong coffee decoction (optional)
- 1 c hot water, to thin batter as necessary
For the icing
- 75 g (2.6 oz) unsalted butter, cold
- 175 g (6.2 oz) good quality dark chocolate (60-70% cacao), roughly chopped
- 300 g (10.5 oz) icing sugar
- 1 tbsp. corn syrup (optional)
- 125 mL sour cream (or substitute with thick, creamy, fresh yogurt)
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract / vanilla bean paste
Make the cake
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Grease and line two 8 inch round cake tins with parchment paper.
- Sift the dry ingredients (Flour, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa). Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and the sugar using an electric whisk till the sugar has completely dissolved.
- Add eggs one at a time and beat well until incorporated. Stir in the vanilla extract, coffee (optional and sour cream.
- Gently fold in the dry ingredients using a spatula. Do not whisk. You may add hot water as necessary until you get a free flowing batter.
- Divide the batter into the prepared cake tins immediately, smoothing the top.
- Bake at 180°C/350°F for 20-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool the cakes in their tin on a wire rack, then remove the cakes and let them sit on the wire rack until you ready the icing.
Make the icing
- Sift the icing sugar to remove lumps. Set aside.
- In a double boiler, melt butter and chocolate until smooth. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Add corn syrup, vanilla, sour cream to the cooled chocolate. Mix well until combined.
- Add this chocolate mixture to the sifted icing sugar and whisk until fluffy and creamy.
- Cut four strips of baking paper and lay it in a square, overlapping each other on the cake stand.
- Place one of the 8 inch cakes on the prepared cake stand.
- Spoon 1/4th of the icing on top of the cake and spread. Sandwich with the other 8 inch cake.
- Spoon half of the remaining icing on the top of the cake, smoothing it over the top and the sides best you can.
- Any remaining icing you can use to pipe designs on the cake.
- Chill in the fridge for half hour before serving.