- Prep Time:10m
- Cook Time:10m
- Total Time:20m
- Serves: 7
- Yield: About 14 dango balls
- 1/4 c jaggery, grated
- 1/4 c grated fresh coconut
- 1 c glutinous rice flour / dango powder
- 1/2 c + 1 tbsp water
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/3 c Kinako
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- Water, to boil the dango and cool it
- In a small pan, combine the jaggery and coconut. Keep stirring till the jaggery dissolves and all the liquid evaporates. Remove from heat and let cool compeltely.
- Mix together the glutinous rice flour, pinch of salt and water until it comes together into a dough much like play-doh.
Filling the dango
- Take a small piece of the dough, make a ball, flatten it and place a small amount of filling in it. Seal the edges and roll into a ball again. Repeat with the remaining dough and filling.
- In the meantime, put a large pot of water to boil. Take another bowl of cool water and set it aside to blanch the cooked dango in.
Cooking the dango
- Drop the filled dango balls into the boiling water, cover and cook until the dango balls rise to the surface.
- Drain with a slotted spoon and blanch into the bowl of cool water.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the kinako powder and sugar. Drain the cool dango balls and drop into the kinako mix and toss to coat completely.
- Serve immediately. Reheats pretty well in the microwave.