- Prep Time:30m
- Cook Time:15m
- Total Time:45m
- Serves: 24
- Yield: About 24 macaroons
- 1/2 c + 1 tbsp sweetened condensed milk
- 7 oz sweetened coconut flakes (substitute with unsweetened coconut flakes + 2tbsp sugar*)
- 1 large eggwhite
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
Chocolate coating (optional)
- 2 oz semi-sweet chocolate for dipping bottoms
- 1 1/2 oz semi-sweet chocolate for drizzling tops
- Preheat oven to 325°F/160°C. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, stir together coconut flakes with vanilla extract and condensed milk. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk the room-temperature egg whites with sugar* until you get stiff peaks.
- Fold in the egg whites carefully into the coconut mixture.
- Drop 1 tbsp (packed) per macaroon on the prepared baking tray atleast 1 inch apart. Make sure the bottoms are flat. Tuck in any stray coconut strands.
- Bake at 325°F/160°C for 10-12 minutes or until the bottom and tops are golden brown.
- Cool on the tray for a few minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler or microwave for 30 seconds, stir then microwave in 10 sec additions till melted completely.
- Dip the macaroon bottoms into the chocolate, then transfer back to the baking tray to set completely.
- You may also drizzle the macaroon tops with chocolate.
- Refrigerate until the chocolate has set, then transfer to an air-tight container and store for upto a week.