- Prep Time:20m
- Cook Time:1h 15m
- Total Time:1h 35m
- Serves: 8
- Yield: one 9" pan
- 5 lb Idaho® Russet potatoes
- ½ c olive oil
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 ½ tsp paprika
- 2 ½ tsp salt
- Cilantro, for garnish (optional)
Prep the potatoes
- Wash and peel the potatoes. As you work, immerse the peeled potatoes in a large mixing bowl full of water to prevent discoloration. Trim the rounded sides of each potato till it looks like a rectangle.
- Using a mandolin slicer set to 1mm, slice the potatoes. Wash thoroughly until the water runs clear to remove excess starch. Drain on a colander.
- Add the ground spices, salt and oil (reserving 2 tablespoons of oil for later) and using both hands, combine until distributed evenly.
- Line a 9" square baking pan with foil for easier cleanup. Brush the bottom lightly with oil.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Position the baking rack to the middle slot.
Arrange in pan
- Starting from one end of the pan, arrange the seasoned potato slices left to right, overlapping and moving row-by-row at even height.
- Brush the top of the potatoes generously with the remaining oil.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 400°F for 1 hour until golden brown. Re-position baking rack to the lower slot, and continue baking for 15 more minutes until the bottoms are crisp.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately. To slice, use scissors to cut through the rows vertically and use an offset spatula to lift the slices from the pan in one piece.