- Prep Time:5m
- Cook Time:18m
- Total Time:23m
- Serves: 2
- Yield: 2
- 3 tbsp. all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 tsp. baking soda (soda, not powder)
- a pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp. water
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1/8 tsp. vanilla bean paste (or 1/4 tsp vanilla extract)
- 1 tbsp. chocolate chips or nuts (optional)
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 tbsp. icing sugar/confectioner's sugar
- 1/4 tsp. sour cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C . Insert two cupcake liners to a muffin tin.
- Combine all the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt) in a bowl. To it, add the wet ingredients (water, oil, vanilla). Mix till you get a smooth batter. Do not over-mix.
- Divide batter between the two cupcake liners.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 350°F/180°C for 18 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
Frosting the cupcakes
- While the cupcakes are in the oven, make the frosting.
- Cream the softened butter using a small whisk or a small rubber spatula until smooth. Stir in the cocoa powder and mix until creamy.
- Adding the confectioner's sugar one tablespoon at a time, keep mixing till you get a soft, fluffy frosting. Finally stir in the sour cream, if using.
- Use your favorite icing tip to pipe the frosting on the cooled cupcakes. Best eaten on the day they were made, although, you can refrigerate them in an air-tight container for 3 days.