- Prep Time:20m
- Cook Time:45m
- Total Time:1h 5m
- Serves: 2
- Yield: About 3 pies + filling for two batches
For the peach filling
- 3 peaches
- water, to blanch the peaches
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1/2 c water
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. cornflour
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla bean paste / extract
For the Pie
- 1 c all-purpose flour
- 1/4 c (50 grams) cold butter, cut in small cubes
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 tbsp. cold water
Blanch and Peel the Peaches
- Bring a small pot of water to a rolling boil. Cut an 'X' shaped incision on the bottom of each peach. Place into the boiling water for about 30 seconds. Drain and run under tap water to cool down. Peel the skin starting at the 'X' incision.
- Remove the peach pit and cut the peaches into cubes. Set aside.
Make the filling
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, water, lemon juice, cornflour and vanilla. Bring to a boil and let it bubble until it thickens to a syrupy consistency.
- Add peaches and let it continue boiling until the peach juices reduce and thicken.
- Remove from heat, let cool slightly before transferring to a clean container. Refrigerate until ready to use. Can be refrigerated for upto a month, freeze for longer.
Make the pie dough
- Place flour, salt and butter in a blender and pulse a few times until crumbly. Add water one spoon at a time while pulsing until the dough clumps together.
- Cover in cling wrap and refrigerate for an hour.
- Remove dough from the fridge and roll out into 1/4 centimeter thick sheet. Cut out three 6.5" circles.
- Refrigerate pie circles (with cling wrap between each) until ready to use.
Shape the pies
- Place 1-2 tablespoons of filling in the center of each pie circle. Fold in half and seal edge with a fork. Pierce vent holes on the top with a sharp knife.
- You can freeze filled pies for upto 3 months. Just before baking, brush tops with milk/egg wash.
- Remember NOT to make any vent holes in the pie if you wish to fry them. Frozen pies need to go straight from the freezer to hot oil without thawing.
Bake the pies
- Bake at a preheated oven at 400°F/200°C for about 25-30 minutes. Let cool slightly on a wire rack before serving. Dust with icing sugar (optional).
Fry em up!
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat until it reaches about 350°F/180°C.
- Lower the pies carefully into the hot oil. Fry on both sides until golden brown. Take care while flipping them, using an additional spoon if necessary.
- Drain on paper towels. Dust with icing sugar (optional) before serving hot!