- Prep Time:1h 30m
- Cook Time:1h
- Total Time:2h 30m
- Serves: 6
For the Marinade
- 1 kg Chicken
- 2 handfuls of crispy fried onion
- 2 tsp. ginger garlic paste
- 1 -2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric powder
- 6 green chillies, chopped finely
- A handful of mint leaves
- A handful of green coriander, chopped
- 1 tsp. garam masala
- 3 -4 tsp thick, fresh yogurt
- Juice of a whole large lemon ( or 2 Indian limes )
- 1/2 tsp. Black Jeera (Kaala Jeera)
For the Rice
- 4 c Basmati rice
- 10 c water
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- 4 -6 cloves
- 3 -4 green cardamom pods
- 1/2 tsp. Black Cumin (Kaala Jeera)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp. ghee
- Salt, to taste
For the final assembling
- 2 -3 pinches of orange-red food colour, dissolved in milk
- A handful of chopped coriander
- 2 -3 handfuls of fried onion
- Juice of a lemon (or 2 Indian limes)
- Marinate the chicken with red chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt for about 15 minutes. Then stir in the remaining ingredients for the marinade. Set aside for an hour.
- Soak the Basmati rice in water for an hour.
Cooking the rice
- Boil about 10 cups of water and add cloves, cinnamon, cardamom pods, kala jeera, bay leaves, ghee and salt. The water must taste slightly saltier than you want the rice to be.
- Once the water comes to a rolling boil, add the soaked rice, and cook till it is al dente, i,e., not completely cooked, but almost done. You'll know it's done when the rice strands begin to curl inwards slightly.
- Drain and set aside. Spread the rice on a large plate to cool slightly.
- In a heavy bottomed pan, spread the marinated chicken (plus marinade) till the base is covered. Reserve a few pieces to intersperse the second layer with.
- Spoon over some of the rice on top of the chicken layer. Scatter the remaining chicken on top of the rice. Sprinkle with a handful of fried onions. Drizzle some lime juice.
- Top with the remaining rice. Then pour over the 'coloured' milk. Sprinkle some more fried onions and the remaining lime juice. Finally top with chopped coriander leaves.
Setting the 'Dum'
- Cover the pan with a clean, damp towel, and then seal the shut with a heavy large lid.
- Cook the assembled biriyani over a high flame for about 2-3 minutes, then reduce the flame to medium heat and cook for 10 minutes. Then reduce the flame to the lowest level, and cook for 30 minutes.
- Fluff up the rice to combine all the layers and serve hot!