- Prep Time:10m
- Cook Time:20m
- Total Time:30m
- Yield: 1 cup
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 c granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp. cornflour
- 2 mandarin oranges (zest of 2 oranges, juice from one) - if using regular oranges, one will do.
- 3/4 c whole milk
- a pinch of orange food color (optional) - if using, add while boiling the milk+zest mixture.
- Whisk together the egg yolks, sugar and cornflour until it turns pale yellow.
- Combine the milk and orange zest and bring to a boil until a skin forms.
- Remove from heat, and add a little egg mixture at a time, whisking well until fully incorporated.
- Return mixture to heat, and keep whisking over medium heat until it thickens.
- Stir in the orange juice.
- Sieve the cream to remove any lumps and zest.
- Transfer to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap, making sure the wrap touches the surface of the cream. This will prevent a skin from forming as it chills.