- Prep Time:2m
- Cook Time:1m
- Total Time:10m
- Serves: 2
- Yield: 2 cupcakes
For the cupcakes
- 3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 tsp. baking soda (not baking powder)
- a pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp. + 1/2 tsp water
- 1 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1/8 tsp. vanilla bean paste (or 1/4 tsp extract)
- 1 tbsp. bittersweet chocolate chips (at least 60% cacao)
For the frosting
- 1/4 c bittersweet chocolate chips (atleast 60% cacao)
- 1/8 c canned coconut milk
- 4 tbsp. icing sugar
Make the cakes
- In a bowl, combine all the dry ingredients : flour, cocoa, sugar, baking soda, salt and chocolate chips. Stir to make sure everything is evenly distributed.
- Add the wet ingredients: water, oil, vanilla. stir well to make a wet batter. Divide equally between two microwave proof glasses (about 2.5" dia). More info on glass sizing in post.
- Microwave each glass separately for 40-45 seconds each (at 800W) until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. See post for more details on different microwaves.
- Let cool on a wire rack. In the meantime, make the frosting.
Make the frosting
- Combine the chocolate and coconut milk and place over low heat and let the coconut milk warm up. Turn off heat and let sit on the stove for about a minute, then stir until you get a smooth chocolate ganache.
- Stir in the icing sugar, one spoon at a time until you get a smooth and creamy frosting. You can either use a piping bag + tip to do the frosting, or just divide between the two cakes with a spoon.
- Microwave cakes are meant to be eaten immediately. The longer you let it sit, the drier it gets.