- Prep Time:20m
- Cook Time:25m
- Total Time:1h 45m
- Serves: 20
- Yield: About 20-24 mini pies
For the pie crust
- 2 1/2 c all purpose flour
- 1/4 c granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. orange zest
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 c unsalted butter, cold, chopped
- 3 egg yolks
- About 1/4 cup of cold water
For the filling
- 3 apples, cored, peeled, chopped finely
- 1/4 c of granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 4 -5 tbsp of any jam/jelly you have. I used this homemade apple jelly.
- 1/8 tsp. salt
Making the pie crust dough
- In a large bowl, add all purpose flour, sugar, orange est, salt, vanilla extract, baking powder and cold unsalted butter.
- Using your fingers, rub the flour against the butter until you are left with a grainy, sandy looking flour. Alternatively, you can use a paddle attachment in your kitchen stand mixer.
- Add the egg yolks and bring the dough together, adding water little by little until you get a pliable dough.
- Knead the dough on a work surface until it feels smooth and soft.
- Divide the dough into two balls, and wrap each in cling-film and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- In the meantime, prepare the apple filling.
Making the apple filling
- Add the chopped apples, sugar, all-purpose flour, lemon juice, ground cinnamon, jam and salt to a large bowl.
- Toss all the ingredients together. Set aside.
Assemble the pie:
- Preheat the oven to 375°F/190°C
- Take one of the refrigerated dough and roll it out on a work surface. Dust the working surface with flour, if needed.
- Cut round or square pieces, about 1/8th inch thick.
- On one of the pieces, place a small heap of the filling. Cover with another piece and seal the edges.
- Transfer to a pan covered with foil.
- Brush milk over the crust, so it will brown nicely. You can also do an egg-wash.
- Bake at 375°F/190°C for 25 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack and let cool. Enjoy!