- Prep Time:20m
- Cook Time:25m
- Total Time:45m
- Serves: 9
- Yield: 9
- 1 lb white pumpkin
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1 pinch saffron (optional)
- 1 tsp. vegetable oil / ghee
- 5 -8 cashews, chopped
- 1 sheet of puff pastry (I used Pepperidge Farms - 9.5" x 9.5")
Make the Halwa
- Grate the pumpkin (medium-fine) and squeeze all the juice out. Set aside both pumpkin and juice.
- Melt the ghee (or oil) and fry the cashews until golden brown. Set aside.
- In a medium pan, boil the pumpkin juice until it reduces to half. Once it's reduced, add the pumpkin, saffron and sugar.
- Keep stirring until all the liquid dries out. Pour in the cashew and ghee(oil) and remove from heat. Let it cool completely.
Assemble the pastry
- Thaw out the pastry sheet according to package instructions.
- Cut into 9 squares after dusting lightly with flour. Fold into a triangle, cut a 'V' shape then open it out. Fold down the top cut, and fold up the bottom cut. You'll see a more detailed explanation in the image above.
- Fill the center with a tablespoon of the filling, piling it high.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 400°F/200°C for 15-20 minutes.
- Let cool on a wire rack completely and enjoy!