- Prep Time:15m
- Cook Time:55m
- Total Time:1h 10m
- Serves: 2
- Yield: 2 hand pies
For the pie dough
- 1 c flour
- 1/4 c cold, unsalted butter (2 oz), cut in cubes
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 tbsp. ice cold water
For the savoury filling
- 1/2 tbsp. oil
- 1/4 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1/4 c onions, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, finely chopped
- 2 tsp. ginger, grated finely
- 1 small tomato, choppped
- 1/2 tsp. red chilli powder / paprika
- a pinch of turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp. garam masala
- salt, to taste
- 1/2 c potato, chopped
- 1/2 c cauliflower florets, cut small
- 1/4 c carrots, finely chopped
- a handful of green peas
- a small squirt of lemon juice
- cilantro, to garnish
Make the pie dough
- In a food processor, combine the flour, butter and salt. Pulse a few times until the flour becomes crumbly like sand.
- Add ice cold water into the crumbly flour while pulsing till the flour comes together.
- Transfer the dough to a work surface and bring together into a ball. Wrap in cling film and refrigerate for atleast an hour.
Make the filling
- Cook the vegetables - cauliflower, carrots, peas and potatoes until 'almost' well done.
- Heat oil in a pan and once hot, add cumin till it becomes fragrant.
- Sauté onions, jalapeno and ginger and a pinch of salt until soft. Add tomatoes, cover and cook till it's cooked into a mush.
- Flavour with red chilli powder, turmeric and more salt. Stir in the cooked vegetables.
- Once all the water is cooked off, add garam masala, a squirt of lemon juice and cilantro.
- Remove from heat and let cool completely before filling.
Assemble and Bake!
- Remove pie dough from the refrigerator, divide into two. Set one half aside and refrigerate the other.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into roughly a 9" circle. Try to make the outside edge thinner than the center.
- Repeat with the remaining half. If the filling is still not cold yet, stack the pie crusts with cling film between each piece and refrigerate till ready to fill.
- Place a few spoons of the filling in the center of each rolled out pie dough. Cover and crimp the edges.
- Brush with milk/egg wash and bake at 400°F/ 200°C for 30-40 minutes until crispy and lightly browned.
- Cool for atleast 5 minutes before serving!