- Prep Time:1h
- Cook Time:15m
- Total Time:2h
- Serves: 4
- Yield: About 2 cups of cooked tapioca
- 1/2 c tapioca pearls (sabudana / javarisi)
- 4 c water more for soaking
- Diluted canned coconut milk, chilled
- Sugar to taste
- Rinse the tapioca pearls in water until the starched is washed off and the water runs clear. Submerge in water and let soak for an hour.
- Drain the soaking water and add 4 cups of water to it. Transfer to a small pan and bring to a boil.
- Once it begins to boil, cook on medium heat (stirring to prevent burning) until the white pearls turn translucent. Turn off heat and let it sit on the stove to cool slowly. If there were any pieces still white, they will turn translucent in this time.
- Transfer the cooked peals to a clean, dry container and refrigerate until completely chilled.
- Dilute canned coconut milk to drinking strength (I find I enjoy a 1:4 dilution - coconut milk : water)
- Spoon about 1/2 c cooked pearls (which will be quite gelatinous and sticky at this point) into a tall glass. Top with the chilled coconut milk. Add sugar to taste. Stir well until combined.
- You may add more or less cooked tapioca as you see fit. Always serve chilled and immediately after mixing. Cooked tapioca can be refrigerated for upto a week.