- Prep Time:15m
- Cook Time:40m
- Total Time:1h
- Serves: 4
- Yield: About 1.5 cups
For the dressing
- 6 large dried red chilies, seeds removed
- 1/3 c chopped shallots/onions
- 7 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp. coriander powder
- 1 c coconut milk
- 1/2 c water
- 1/2 c roasted peanuts, crushed coarsely
- 4 tbsp. tamarind juice
- 3 tbsp. palm sugar, finely chopped, packed
- 3/4 tsp. salt (this is a substitute for fish sauce)
For the Salad (suggestions)
- Carrots, cucumbers, icerberg lettuce, deep-fried/baked tofu, fried onions, boiled eggs (cooked for 9-10 minutes in salted boiling water)
To make the dressing
- In a spice grinder/small jar of food proccessor, grind the red chillis into a fine powder
- Add the chopped onions, garlic and coriander powder to the red chillis and grind to a paste.
- In a pan, boil 1/4 cup of the coconut milk till it reduces to half. Add the remaining coconut milk, the ground paste, water, crushed peanuts, tamarind juice, salt and palm sugar.
- Reduce heat to medium and let it simmer for about 30 minutes. Make sure you stir it often to prevent burning at the bottom. Remove from heat when the oil starts to separate and float at the top.
- Let cool completely and refrigerate for up to a week in an airtight container.
- Add the prepared vegetables, boiled egg, tofu and fried onions into a bowl. Pour over the dressing and toss well to combine. Serve immediately.