- Prep Time:20m
- Cook Time:30m
- Total Time:50m
- Serves: 12
- Yield: Makes two 8" cakes
For the cake
- 2 c all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 c cocoa powder
- One 15-oz can of Pumpkin puree
- 1 c olive oil
- 2 c sugar
- 1 c coffee (2 tsp instant coffee + 1 c water)
- 1 c vegan yogurt
- 1 tsp. Orange zest
- 2 tsp. vanilla bean paste
For the ganache
- 1/2 c canned coconut milk
- 1/2 c bittersweet chocolate chips
- 3 tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla bean paste
Bake the cakes
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C. Line two 8" round springform baking tins (bottom and sides) with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt and cocoa powder. Mix well and set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the wet ingredients: pumpkin puree, olive oil, sugar, coffee, yogurt, orange zest and vanilla. Mix well to combine.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry. Using a spatula, fold until the two are combined and there are no lumps in the batter.
- Transfer to the prepared baking tins. Smooth out the tops.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 350F/180C for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool the cakes in the tin completely over a wire rack.
Make the ganache
- Heat the coconut milk and sugar over gentle heat in a small saucepan until it starts to simmer. Do not let boil or the fat will separate and the ganache will taste coconuty. Remove from heat.
- Add chocolate to the warm milk and let sit until it melts in the heat. Stir until smooth, thick and glossy. Stir in the vanilla. Set aside.
- Serve a slice of the cake with a dribble of warm ganache on top. Sprinkle toasted pine nuts, if needed.