- Prep Time:15m
- Cook Time:30m
- Total Time:45m
- Serves: 6
- Yield: One 8" cake
For the cake
- 1 1/4 c (170g) all purpose flour
- 1/3 c (80g) sugar
- 1 tsp. (4 g) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. (3g) baking soda
- 1 tsp. (4 ml) lemon juice
- 1/2 c (100ml) orange juice
- 1/2 tsp. orange zest
- 1/2 c (95ml) vegetable oil
- 1/2 c (135g) dairy-free coconut milk yogurt substitute (unsweetened, unflavored)
For the topping
- 1/2 c fruit jam of choice (I used homemade strawberry jam)
- 1/2 c sweetened dessicated coconut
- 3 -4 tbsp Torani Coconut syrup
- Fresh fruit, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F. Grease and line an 8" round/square baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda). Make a well in the center and add all the liquid ingredients (lemon juice, orange juice, orange zest, oil and yogurt).
- Gently fold the wet ingredients and the dry ingredients until thoroughly combined and no lumps of flour remain.
- Transfer to the prepared baking tin, smooth the top and bake in the preheated oven at 180C/350F for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in the tin, on a wire rack for 5 minutes, then remove cake from tin, remove parchment paper and let cool completely on the wire rack.
- Once cool, turn the cake on the wire rack so that the bottom is facing up. Drizzle Torani coconut syrup on the cake slowly but steadily, letting the cake absorb before adding more syrup.
- Spread the jam on top of the cake in an even layer. Sprinkle generously with sweetened dessicated coconut.
- Let sit on kitchen counter overnight for the flavors to mature (if it's not too warm). Store refrigerated for upto a week. Serve chilled with fresh fruit on top. Tastes better the next day.