- Prep Time:5m
- Cook Time:5m
- Total Time:10m
- Serves: 2
- Yield: 2
- 200 mL canned coconut milk
- 50 mL water
- 42 g (3 tbsp) sugar + more for topping
- 9 g (1 1/4 tbsp) Brown and Polsen Vanilla Custard Powder
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla bean paste (or extract)
- Mangoes, to serve
- Combine the coconut milk and water in a pan. Take about 1/4 cup out and use it to dilute the custard powder in a separate bowl. Set aside.
- Bring the remaining coconut milk and 3 tbsp sugar to a slow boil. Once you start to see bubbles, reduce heat to low and add the dissolved custard powder while stirring continuously.
- Keep stirring as the custard thickens to a gloopy consistency. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Divide between two shallow heat proof bowls (I used two bowls about 6" wide, 1" tall). Smooth the tops and let cool slightly at room temperature. Cover with foil and refrigerate (a few hours or overnight) until completely chilled and set.
- Just before you're ready to serve, sprinkle sugar on top of the set custard, and using a kitchen blow torch, caramelise the sugar in smooth, swift motion, moving the flame over the sugar over and over again until it turns golden brown.
- Return the custard to the fridge for a couple of minutes, for the sugar to harden and serve topped with slices of fresh mango.