- Prep Time:30m
- Cook Time:1h 10m
- Total Time:1h 40m
- Serves: 3
- Yield: 3 sandwiches
For Roasting the eggplant
- 580 g (20.4 oz) Eggplant
- Oil, to brush
For the eggplant patty mix
- 1 tsp. oil
- 1/2 c onion, chopped
- 2 jalapenos, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1/2 c cilantro, chopped
- 3 tbsp. roasted garlic breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. fried red chilli flakes
- Salt, to taste
For the breading
- 1/4 c all-purpose flour
- 1/4 c roasted garlic breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp. cornflour + water
- 2 -4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 6 large slices of Bread (I used homemade Brioche)
- 2 c salad greens
- 1/2 onion, sliced round
- 1/2 large tomato, sliced
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced
- 1/4 c mayo/coconut cream + your favourite spice blend (I used Legion of Spice's Bayou Black)
Roast the eggplant(s)
- Slice the eggplant(s) vertically in half. Sprinkle generously with salt and set aside to 'sweat'.
- Preheat oven to 325°F / 160°C. Line a medium baking tray with foil.
- Using paper towels, squeeze as much moisture as you can from the salted eggplants. Brush with oil. Sprinkle more salt. Place the eggplant(s) cut side down on the prepared baking tray.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 325°F / 160°C for 35 minutes. Then flip the eggplant(s) so cut side is facing up. Place under broiler for 5-10 minutes until the tops are browned.
- Wrap roasted eggplants in foil and let it sit for 10 minutes. Scoop out the flesh with a spoon and blend till smooth.
Flavour the eggplant
- In 1 tsp oil, sauté the onions, grated garlic and jalapenos with a pinch of salt until soft. Let cool. Add to eggplant and rest of the ingredients under 'eggplant patty mix', adding more or less breadcrumbs/flour depending on the moisture in your eggplant.
Shape the patty
- Heat a pan over medium-high heat and brush lightly with oil. Spoon 1/3 of the patty mix and shape into a thick round disk.
- Once the bottom is seared and crisp, flip over and let the other side crisp. Repeat with remaining batter.
Bread the patty
- Dip cooked patties into flour, then cornflour slurry and then breadcrumbs. Repeat to get a thicker crust.
- Deep-fry or lightly pan fry the breaded patties.
- Assemble the sandwich with salad greens, vegetables, flavoured mayo/coconut cream between two slices of toasted brioche. Serve hot!