- Prep Time:2h 10m
- Cook Time:30m
- Total Time:2h 40m
- Serves: 2
- Yield: 8 rolls
For the bread
- 185 g (1 1/2 c) bread flour + more for dusting
- 4 g (1 tsp) instant yeast
- 7 g (1 tsp) salt
- 15 g (1 tbsp) sugar
- 100 mL (1/2 c ) lukewarm water
- 32 mL (2 tbsp) canned coconut milk (lukewarm) + more for brushing
For the filling
- 1 c Kale, chopped
- 1 c baby spinach
- 1/3 c onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, grated
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- a pinch of turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp. red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp. garam masala
- a pinch of cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tbsp. butter + more for greasing
Make the dough
- Combine the bread flour, instant yeast, salt and sugar in a bowl. Make a well in the center and add the lukewarm water and coconut milk. Knead into a dough until stickiness is gone and the dough bounces back when pressed with a finger.
- Cover with a damp towel and place in a warm place for an hour to double in size. In the meantime, make the filling.
Make the filling
- In a small pan, heat the oil and sauté the chopped onions with a pinch of salt until soft.
- Add the kale and spinach and cook until wilted. Season with turmeric, red chilli powder, cumin seeds and garam masala.
- Remove from heat and let cool completely. Grind into a paste. Set aside.
Shape the rolls
- Line an 8" loaf tin with foil/parchment paper. Grease lightly with oil/butter.
- Punch out the risen dough and transfer to a clean work surface, dusted with some flour.
- Roll out into a 1/4" thick rectangle. Spread the butter in an even layer. Then top with a layer of tomato paste, Then a final layer of the kale paste.
- Roll, starting from the long end into a log. Slice into 8 pieces.
The final rise
- Place the slices cut-side down into the loaf tin. Cover with a damp towel and let rise in a warm spot for an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C. Brush the tops of the risen rolls with coconut milk.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes until the tops are browned and the internal temperature reads 200°F.
- Cool slightly on a wire rack before serving. Keeps well covered at room temperature for 2-3 days. Reheat in the oven at 350°F/180°C for 5 minutes before serving warm.