- Prep Time:20m
- Cook Time:50m
- Total Time:1h 10m
- Serves: 4
- Yield: One 9" quiche
For the pie crust
- 80 g (1/3 c) coconut oil
- 134 g (1 c) all purpose flour (unbleached)
- 6 g (1 tsp) salt
- 50 g (3 tbsp) cold water
For roasting vegetables
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 100 g (1/4) yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 75 g (1/2) bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 170 g (1 medium) zucchini, roughly chopped
- 140 g (1) roma tomato, de-seeded, roughly chopped
- 60 g (1/2 c) frozen corn kernels
- 5 -6 spinach leaves
- 1/4 tsp. dried italian herb seasoning
For the quiche filling
- 250 mL canned coconut milk
- 3 tbsp. chickpea flour (besan)
- 1 1/4 tsp. cornstarch
- 2 g (1 tsp) garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- pinch of ground turmeric
- pinch of dried italian herb seasoning
- Salt, to taste
Make the pie crust dough
- Refrigerate the coconut oil, stirring every 5 minutes as it begins to harden until the clear liquid turns into a scoopable, grainy consistency.
- Preheat oven to 425°F/220°C. Re-position the oven baking rack to the lower middle slot. Place a pie tin on a baking tray. Set aside.
- Combine flour and salt in a bowl. Add the coconut oil to the flour and using a fork, mix by cutting the oil into the flour, until it resembles wet sand. Add the cold water and bring together with a spoon. Then use your hands to shape it into a ball.
- Note: If it's too soft, refrigerate for a few minutes before rolling out.
- Roll the dough into a circle that it slightly larger than your pie tin. Transfer the rolled dough onto the pie tin and press down the sides. Trim excess dough around the edges, using the trimmed bits to patch up any areas that appear broken or misshapen.
- Cover the top of the pie dough with foil/parchment paper and fill upto the brim with pie weights or large lentils (like chickpeas).
- Bake in the preheated oven at 425°F/220°C for 15 minutes on the lower middle rack. Then remove the pie weights and foil, prick the pie crust lightly with a fork (without going all the way through the crust) and continue baking for 10 more minutes until the edges and bottom is golden brown and crisp.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack, still in the pie tin.
Roast the vegetables
- Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add the roughly chopped onions, zucchini and peppers, and roast on medium heat until the edges begin to turn brown. Add the tomatoes and corn, continue to saute until the excess moisture is gone. Turn off the heat, stir in the spinach and dried Italian herbs and set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 400°F/200°C. Re-position the oven baking rack to the center slot.
Make the quiche filling
- Combine coconut milk, chickpea flour, cornstarch, garlic powder, paprika, Italian dried herb seasoning and salt in a bowl. Using a small whisk, stir until no lumps remain.
- Transfer the roasted vegetables to the blind baked pie crust. Pour in the quiche filling, making sure that the liquid fills all the spaces between the vegetables.
- Bake the quiche in the preheated oven at 400°F/200°C on the middle rack for 20 minutes. Cover with foil and continue baking for 10 more minutes until the quiche is set.
- Transfer to a cooling rack to cool slightly before serving warm.