- Prep Time:15m
- Cook Time:20m
- Total Time:1h 25m
- Serves: 4
- Yield: About 4 10" pizzas
For the spinach dough
- 2 c baby spinach, packed tightly
- Small pot of water + ice bath to blanch spinach
- 1 c multi-grain wheat flour* (see post for details)
- 1 c bread flour ( or all-purpose flour)
- 1/2 oz instant yeast (or active dry yeast)*
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 tbsp. salt
- 1/2 c lukewarm water (90°C)
- Oil to grease bowl (optional)
For the assembly
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1/2 c sweet corn kernels
- 1 bell pepper (assorted colors, if you like), sliced
- 1 recipe of my 5 min marinara sauce (link in post)
- 2 tbsp. garlic powder
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1 c vegan cheese (I use Daiya Mozzarella shreds)
- 1 tbsp. dried oregano (or Italian seasoning)
Make the spinach puree
- Bring a small pot of water to a rolling boil. Have an ice bath (ice cubes in cold water) ready on the side.
- Immerse the spinach leaves into the boiling water and cool for ~1 minute until they wilt and turn an electric green. Immediately remove them with tongs and dunk into the ice bath. Let it sit in the ice bath for a few minutes until completely chilled.
- Transfer the wilted leaves to a small blender and puree until smooth using as little water as necessary to aid blending. Set aside.
Make the dough
- Combine the flours, yeast, sugar and salt in a bowl. Make a well in the center and add the spinach puree. Mix well to combine, then add the lukewarm water, a little at a time to form a smooth, slightly wet dough. Knead for a few minutes, it is a sticky dough, but try not to add too much flour to dry it out.
- Cover with a damp cloth and let it proof in a warm spot until it doubles in size. Once doubled, I cover it with a plate and let it refrigerate until I'm ready to cook.
Shape the pizza dough
- If you've refrigerated the dough, take it out atleast an hour before you're ready to cook them. This will give it time to come to room temperature, waking up the yeast in the process and making the dough more pliable to roll out.
- Divide the dough in 4 equal pieces. I use a kitchen scale to help me measure accurately. Cover the remaining three pieces while you work with one.
- Turn on the oven broiler. Set the baking rack to the middle position. Place a 10" cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- On a clean surface lightly dusted with flour, roll out the dough evenly to a 3mm thickness.
- Lightly brush the hot skillet with oil. Transfer the rolled out dough to the hot skillet and let it bubble up and turn golden brown on the bottom. Remove to a baking tray. Turn off skillet.
- Brush the top of the dough with olive oil. Spread marinara, toppings, herbs, garlic powder, cheese, etc to choice.
- Bake in the oven for about 3-5 minutes until the cheese has melted and the edges start to brown. Remove, slice and serve immediately.
- Repeat with the remaining dough. Dough can be made upto a day ahead and refrigerated. Bring to room temperature before rolling out and cooking.