- Prep Time:20m
- Cook Time:15m
- Total Time:35m
- Serves: 6
- Yield: 6 pastry voodoo dolls (3.6")
For the Beet filling
- 1 c raw beetroot, grated
- 1/3 c sugar (or other sweetening agents)
- 4 tbsp. coconut milk (or regular milk/water)
For the Voodoo dolls
- 1 pkg of puff pastry (2 sheets) - I use Peperidge Farms
- 1 tbsp. Coconut Milk wash ( substitute with regular milk )
- Thaw the puff pastry according to package instructions, but only until it's pliable enough to open up without breaking/cracking. The voodoo dolls are best cut out while still firm (not hard).
Make the filling
- Heat a small pan and add beets and coconut milk. Cover and cook until soft.
- Uncover, add sugar and keep stirring over medium heat until all the liquid cooks off and you get a fairy 'dry' mixture. Let cool completely and divide into 6 parts. Set aside.
Make the Voodoo Dolls
- Use a gingerbread cookie cutter (or the provided printable template) and cut out dolls from the two pastry sheets. I used the 3.6" template and got 12 dolls.
- Transfer to a wire rack and roll them out slightly thin using a rolling pin, one at a time.
- Spread the beet filling on 6 of the rolled out pastry dolls and sandwich with the other 6.
- Cut out eyes, mouth and other details using a small knife. Pinch edges close best you can.
- Preheat oven to 400°F/200°C. Line a medium baking tray with parchment paper.
- Brush tops with milk - for that gorgeous brown shade as it bakes.
- Bake at 400°F/200°C for 15-20 minutes until golden brown, puffed and crisp.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly before serving hot! If storing, cool completely before transferring to an air-tight container. If it gets soft with storage, reheat in a 350°F/180°C for about 5 minutes.